Itineraries, fortresses and castles


The Centopini Hotel is centrally located in the province of Rimini and it is easy to reach in a few minutes by car castles and villages, museums, parks, natural and often unique environments that are just waiting to be visited and appreciated.

Onferno Caves


The caves of Onferno represent a karst complex of considerable value whose complete scientific exploration, carried out by the speleologist Quarina, dates back to 1916. An underground river has dug these chalky caves giving rise to tunnels, rooms, gorges that develop underground for about 750 meters in total. About 400 metres of spectacular route are open to the public: large rooms with the rare conformation of the mammellons, wide corridors marked by the underground watercourse and one of the most numerous and varied colonies of bats to be found in Italy. At the exit of the cave another 400 meters of path in an environment between water, rock, small cavities and beautiful vegetation. Great suggestion for a guided tour of about an hour with a guide and equipment provided by the Visitor Center. Above the promontory that overlooks the caves there is the village of Onferno, once a real rural castle, now restored to accommodation and catering facilities

Oriented Nature Reserve

123 hectares, protected for their undoubted naturalistic value given the presence of dense and rich vegetation, a fauna with rare wild animals, a particular geology with formations of chalk and gullies. This is undoubtedly a beautiful and varied territory which, with a little attention, allows for excursions and naturalistic and landscape observations of an excellent level, also favoured by careful signposting. Among the main itineraries are the Madonna della Pioggia path, the Faggio path and the botanical path. Many other routes on foot, horseback and mountain bike are possible with a minimum of knowledge of the area. This is a nature museum with exhibition and educational purposes. The emergencies that characterize the caves and the Reserve from the vegetation, fauna and geological point of view are illustrated. There is also a botanical garden. All of this is attached to the Visitor Centre of the caves, housed in the ancient Pieve di Santa Colomba, which is obviously the essential point for the best excursions in the area and inside the caves

Ventena Valley


Between Gemmano and Montefiore Conca stretches this small valley which, it seems almost a miracle, has retained wild features unimaginable for these hills so close to the coast and the major centres. The Ventena torrent flows through a wide corridor of spontaneous vegetation (the rare alder and numerous orchids can be found here) and is surrounded by hills and gorges that are decidedly evocative. It is one of the oldest and most surprising landscapes in the province. There is a well-structured network of footpaths for excellent excursions between the two towns and which touches several rural villages. Many mountain bike enthusiasts appreciate the whole area.

The most interesting routes:

A thousand opportunities to live

Leaving from the Sanctuary of the Madonna di Carbognano (5 km from the hotel) and partly following the Conca cycle path. You can choose between 2 itineraries Pedaling to the sea - full day - Gemmano-Cattolica-Gemmano 40 km about - 200 m of elevation gain (downhill on the outward journey, uphill on the return) and Pedaling inland - full day - Gemmano-Onferno-Gemmano 20 km about - 280 m of elevation gain (uphill on the outward journey, downhill on the return). The excursions include an environmental-hiking guide, wine or oil tasting in a farm and insurance.

The starting points of the excursions are at a maximum of 15 km from Gemmano and can be reached independently. The routes are not demanding from the point of view of hiking and offer beautiful landscapes It is possible to choose between 2 itineraries: from Faetano to the Castle of Albereto - half day - 5 km and 190 m difference in height. About 2 hours of walking excluding stops and from Morciano di Romagna to Cerreto di Saludecio - full day - 12 km and 160 m of difference in height. About 4 hours of walking excluding stops. The excursions include an environmental-hiking guide, wine or oil tasting in a farm and insurance

Intended not only as a military garrison but also as a residential and representative place of the lord in the city, the castle was inhabited from 1446, while the ramparts of the outer walls date back to a later period, after the death of Sigismondo. At present, the castle has lost its original shape, which is represented by the commemorative medal of Matteo de' Pasti and the fresco by Piero della Francesca in the Malatesta Temple

The fortress known as the "rock" remains the most solid and visible, even though it has been modified and restored. Together with those of Montebello, San Leo and Santarcangelo, it is one of the most beautiful and interesting of the entire Marecchia Valley

This fortress dominates the middle Conca and Ventina valleys and is part of the strongest and most coherent chain of the Malatesta defence system. It is perhaps the most characteristic of the Malatesta castles because of its round shape and because of the elevation of the fortress, which has an unusual, almost surreal, appearance, being smooth and faceted, compact and crystalline. No wonder it remained in the eyes of Giovanni Bellini, who reproduced it in the background of at least two of his paintings

The historical references to the Rocca (one of the medieval castles in the Rimini area) date back to the end of the 9th century and refer to Federico Barbarossa, to the fights between Guelphs and Ghibellines, to the tragedy of Paolo and Francesca and to the long rule of the Malatesta family (1248/1471). It was a Malatesta, Sigismondo Pandolfo (a man of letters, warrior and architect) who rebuilt the fortress; the work was completed in 1447 and gave the complex the appearance it still has today

A castle of feudal origins, whose fortress was built on the ruins of a Roman "castrum" in the 11th century, perched on the top of a rugged cliff in a strategic position overlooking the Marecchia valley. It is such a compact, ironclad building that even today, when viewed from so high in the sky, it appears as a watchful sentinel over the borders of three regions and two states.

In the fortress of Mondaino, both the boundary walls and the northern gateway, on a large scarp base, are attributable to Sigismondo Malatesta and form a very picturesque nucleus, also because of the insertion between them of a scenic 19th-century semi-circular porticoed square.

The Fortress of Gradara is a magnificent example of military architecture of the 12th-14th century, which majestically reigned over a hill a few kilometres from the sea. Started 900 years ago by the Degriffo family, it was enlarged and embellished over the centuries by the different feudal lords of Gradara: the Malatesta, the Sforza, the Della Rovere

The Fortress has existed since Roman times; today it has the Renaissance layout due to the Sienese architect Francesco di Giorgio Martini, to whom Federico da Montefeltro entrusted the task of adapting the fortress to the new firearms. Today many visitors are also attracted by the place where Cagliostro was imprisoned and died.

Castle of very ancient origin which, during the centuries, has lived a difficult destiny of contention between the Malatesta and Montefeltro families because of its unique and strategic position. The narrow passage of the gate tower, similar to a drawbridge, leads to a medieval village restored to its former glory and rightly mentioned among the most beautiful villages in Italy.

The independence of the Republic has ancient origins, so much so that San Marino is considered the oldest republic in the world. According to tradition, it was founded on September 3, 301 A.D., when Saint Marino, a Dalmatian stonecutter from the island of Arbe, escaped from the persecutions against the Christians by the Roman Emperor Diocletian and established a small Christian community on Mount Titano, the highest of the seven hills on which the Republic stands.
The owner of the area, a rich woman from Rimini, donated the territory of Mount Titano to the small community, which called it "Land of San Marino" in memory of its founder. The small capital city cherishes an inestimable historical, museum and architectural heritage.